Tuesday

ORAL TRADITION


An indication how the oral tradition about the historic Jesus of Nazareth was passed down (and distorted) to eventually be recorded in the gospels.

#####################################

John A T Robinson was a New Testament scholar, author and a former Anglican Bishop of Woolwich, England who died on 5th December 1983 at Cambridge. These are words stated during his last supper. Feel free to add your bit to this oral history handed down to me by someone who knew somone who knew someone who said that his great uncle's best friend's daugher had heard her mother's aunt state that she had heard the man outside of Hoyts say these exact words. It is therefore a very reliable source. ...

~~~~~~~~~

On the evening of 4th December 1983 John A T Robinson stated:

Look at all my trials and tribulations
Sinking in a gentle pool of wine
Don't disturb me now I'm reading my bible
Till this evening is this morning life is fine

Always hoped that I'd be a bible scholar
Knew that I would make it if I tried
Then when I retire I could write my books
So they'll still talk about me when I've died

For all I care this wine could be my blood
For all I care this bread could be my body
If you would remember me when you eat and drink . . .
I must be mad thinking I'll be remembered - yes
I must be out of my head!
Look at your blank faces! My name will mean nothing
Ten minutes after I'm dead!
One of you misquotes me
One of you reinterprets me

What's that in the bread it's gone to my head
Till this evening is this morning life is fine

Will no-one stay awake with me?
Wade? Gladys? Jesus?